The video for Mick Jenkins‘ ‘Drowning’ casts him as a slave who is left to drown who manages to struggle down river to freedom.
The track marks Jenkins’ third collaboration with BADBADNOTGOOD in 2016; the one-off ‘The Artful Dodger’ and ‘Hyssop of Love’ from BADBADNOTGOOD’s latest release IV.
‘Drowning’ can be found on Jenkins’ debut album The Healing Component, out on September 23.
“We met Mick for the first time briefly at a show and I remember being blown away by his live set. A little after that, Red Bull Sound Select contacted us to put together a session with him, and we jumped at the chance. To work with someone that has such strong vision was very inspiring for us. Everyone was throwing out ideas and it was a really organic workflow. Mick sang live as we recorded the track, so that raw energy is present throughout the whole song,” BADBADNOTGOOD said in a statement.
“It has been a one of a kind experience working with BADBADNOTGOOD. A lot of the time they were just jamming and I was freestyling until we came across things we liked. I introduced the idea of covering TheSenseiBlue’s ‘On The Map,’ a viral hit from YouTube and the subsequent laughs and enjoyment ensued. It was the inspiration for ‘Drowning’,” Jenkins added.
He also shared a free stream of ‘Spread Love’ and announced the dates of his upcoming tour;
1. The Healing Component (prod. by Rascal & THEMpeople)
2. Spread Love (prod. by Sango)
3. Daniel’s Bloom (prod. by Sango & Abu)
4. Strange Love (prod. by THEMpeople & Dee Lilly)
5. This Type Love? (interlude)
6. Drowning feat. BADBADNOTGOOD
7. As Seen in Bethsaida feat. theMIND (prod. by THEMpeople)
8. Communicate feat. Ravyn Lenae (prod. by Kaytranada)
9. Plugged (prod. by IAMNOBODI)
10. 1000 Xans feat. theMIND (prod. by Kaytranada)
11. Prosperity feat. theMIND (prod. by THEMpeople)
12. Fall Through (prod. by Rascal and THEMpeople)
13. Love, Robert Horry feat. jSTOCK (prod. by THEMpeople)
14. Angles feat. Noname & Xavier Omar (prod. by Monte Booker, THEMpeople, & Cam O’bi
15. Fucked Up Outro feat. Michael Anthony (prod. by Dpat)