Jim James has shared a free stream of his cover of Abbey Lincoln’s ‘The World is Falling Down’ from his album Tribute To 2, out on December 8.
“Even though she released this song in 1991 it felt so relevant to right now,” James explained in a press release. “I think so many of us feel the world is falling apart right now – that the powers that be are trying to divide us and rip us apart … when I heard that song it just resonated deeply because there is such pain there but I feel she also is offering hope and realization that we need each other’s help in times of crisis.”
Fans who buy the album at Amoeba Music in LA starting on December 8 will receive access to an exclusive in-store performance and signing.
Unlike his previous collection of covers, 2009’s EP of George Harrison and Beatles covers Tribute To, James recorded these songs over the course of several years in many different locations. The release will be reissued on December 8 with a bonus track, a cover of Bob Dylan’s ‘If Not For You’.
“These are some of my favorite covers – songs I recorded trying to bring myself peace during a rough time or trying to make myself laugh or just have fun. I hope others can relate and enjoy the journey during these tough times and hopefully in times of peace and love as well!” he said.
See below for the tracklisting;
Tribute To 2 – Track Listing
1. I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times —- by The Beach Boys
2. Baby Don’t Go —- by Sonny & Cher
3. Wild Honey —- by Diane Izzo
4. Midnight, the Stars and You —- by Ray Noble & Al Bowlly
5. Crying in the Chapel —- by The Orioles
6. Funny How Time Slips Away —- by Willie Nelson
7. Love is the Sweetest Thing —- by Ray Noble & Al Bowlly
8. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight —- by Bob Dylan
9. Lucky Man —- by Emerson, Lake & Palmer
10. The World is Falling Down —- by Abbey Lincoln
11. Blue Skies —- by Irving Berlin
Tribute To – Reissue Track Listing
1. Long, Long, Long —- by George Harrison
2. Behind That Locked Door —- by George Harrison
3. Love You To —- by George Harrison
4. My Sweet Lord —- by George Harrison
5. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) —- by George Harrison
6. All Things Must Pass —- by George Harrison
7. If Not For You [Bonus Track] —- by Bob Dylan